Choosing wisely when it comes to snack foods is a great idea. But most of the time, the food that seems nutritious isn’t beneficial. Even though many people do not think about their health when eating snack items. But the reality is actually “you are what you eat.”
Firstly, let’s discuss how and what should we eat for snack foods? There is this thing called moderate eating. You might have heard about it, and honestly, it’s significance is quite a lot. Some people think that if they are eating healthy food, (no matter whatever the quantity is) they are fit. This is a very wrong conception. In snack foods eating, the quantity of the food also matters as well as the quality.
Moderation in eating means that only eating that much amount of food that is required by our body to function. In other words, no overeating. It is the feeling of content you get after eating rather than feeling full or bloated.
Most of the time, moderately eating is misinterpreted with less eating or avoiding the food that you love. For instance, a diet conscious person who does not have much knowledge about a moderate diet will prevent a slice of pizza but will binge on a sack of boiled potatoes. This is not the best approach for moderate eating. Most people misunderstand that moderate eating means eating less, and they starve on their favorite food. For example:
- Eating whole-grain snack foods in an adequate amount can be considered as moderate eating. Whole-grain snacks give you energy and power. You can try tortilla chips or high fiber cereal. But most health-conscious people avoid whole grain snacks because they think it would make them bloated.
- Munching on some nuts also is the best way to intake energy as well as eating moderately. Walnuts, peanuts, almonds, cashew, and other seeds give you fulfilling rather than eating some chips or cookies as snack items. Nuts contain many nutrients that are beneficial for our body.
- Most people skip breakfast and think that they have accomplished moderate eating ( no matter they eat endlessly for lunch). But the truth is, not having breaking is the biggest mistake you can make on the road to moderate eating. A slice of whole-grain toast with some low sugar jam is all it takes.
If you go to a dietician, they would not recommend you to go on a crash diet. Instead, they will assist you in moderate eating by making a food chart that includes all the food but in an adequate quantity. The reason for doing so is:
- If some particular food is cut down from your diet, you will naturally feel more craving towards it.
- The elimination of that food (which can be your favorite one) can lead you to depression.
- If you give in the temptation, you will eat that thing more, and this might harm your health.
- Hence, eat that specific food in moderation as your snack foods rather than limiting it off.
Here are the few tricks through which you can achieve moderation in eating your snack items.
1. Limit your snack foods variety
Eating snacks can be tasty, but too much can be harmful to your health. Hence, you should be careful about what you are eating and what snack items you have in your kitchen. Because if you keep a variety of snack foods, then you will feel the craving and you might end up eating a pack full of chips. Thus, limit your snack foods variety, the more items you’ll have, the more challenging it will be for you. And you might end up failing in achieving moderate eating. Keep your snacks as hardly attainable as possible.
2. Minimize the snack items portions
Minimizing the portion size of your snack can be the best way to eat in moderation. Reducing the quantity of unhealthy food is the most natural technique. Doing so will make you less tempting for your favorite and unhealthy food, and you will think about eating them occasionally only.
Furthermore, you have to be careful and conscious about your intake of unhealthy snack items. Especially if you are a social person, and your visits to restaurants and hotels are quite frequent with your friends and family, then you should:
- Do not order too much
- Eat small portions
- Share your food items with your friends and family while eating
- Do not go for deals or combos that contain more quantity of food
On the other hand, if you are an unsocial human and prefer staying home rather than hanging out, then moderate eating can be quite easy for you. You can follow below given approaches:
- Eat-in small plates or bowls
- Try to use a fork for eating instead of a spoon
- Have your carbs in a short amount like a generic light bulb
- Make small portions of whatever you eat
These tricks will make you think that you have eaten a lot, and you will feel content. In the beginning, you might not feel satisfied, but once you are at it, you will start getting the feeling of fulfillment.
3. Give some time
Timing is an essential aspect of moderate eating. It will prevent you from overeating. You should have a small amount of a few meals with less interval of time. This will not trigger the feeling of hunger in you. You will always have feeling like you are full. Playing with timing will also trick your brain into eating food items.
Thus, adopting these habits can make you achieve moderate eating. And will let you live a healthy life. Eating smartly is all it takes to a healthier lifestyle.